Under the Staff Page section on the SNO Design Options page, you can choose what you would like your Staff Page to look like. You can choose to have either a Photo Block, List, or Profile Preview style.
- The Photo Block style will fill the page with pictures of your staff in a block style. The name and position of each staff member will be revealed when the picture is hovered over andwhen clicked.
- The List style lists the name, position, and a link to the staff profile. When the staff profile link is clicked the staff profile will be shown along with all stories written by that staff member
- The Profile Preview style shows each staff member’s profile and a teaser to their staff profile. This style allows for more options including the box height, photo type, etc. This style works best when all of the pictures are roughly the same size and all of the profiles are roughly the same length.
For information on how to create Staff Profiles, read on below.
Your site includes a built-in page for you to showcase your staff. A staff profile will automatically be linked to any stories written by this staff member, photos taken by this staff member, or videos created by this staff member. This page is set to only showcase staff members for the current school year, and the school year will automatically reset on July 1 to the new school year. You can assign a staff member to multiple school years.
Creating Staff Profiles
- Click on New under the Staff Profiles tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
- Enter the name of the staff member in the Title box. This field must be filled out but it will not be published.
- Enter the profile of the staff member in the Post field.
- Scroll down to the Profile Information box.
- Add the writer’s name. When the staff page is displayed, it will link automatically to all content assigned to this writer. (If you spell the writer’s name wrong on any story, it won’t be linked here.)
- Add the writer’s job title.
- Mark a check next to any school year when this staff member is on your staff. Only staff members assigned to the current school year will be displayed.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and find the Featured Image box on the right-hand side; click on the Set featured image link.
- In the box that appears, click on Upload Files in the upper left-hand corner, then click Select Files or drag and drop the picture that you would like to be the image for this profile. NOTE: All photos uploaded to the staff profiles need to be full sized images: 900px by 600px. This page is designed for horizontal images at least 300px wide. However, vertical photos will work as long as you set the page up to display them on the SNO Design Options page.
- Click the Set featured image button in the lower right-hand corner. You will now see your image show up in the Featured Image box.
- Scroll up and click Publish.
Reordering Staff Profiles
You can reorder your staff profiles by Job Title, so that all members of each Job Title are within the same grouping. Within each grouping, staff will be arranged by order of published date -- newest first (e.g. Editor 1, Editor 2, Writer 1, Writer 2, etc.). To rearrange the order of staff members within each Job Title, simply edit the published dates of the given staff profile.
- Hover on Staff Profiles and click on Staff Profile Order.
- You'll see your school years and the various job titles.
- Select the school year you want to reorder and drag and drop the job titles into the order you want.
- It saves automatically.
- To change the order of individual staff profiles within each Job Title, change the published date/time of a given staff profile. Entries will always be sorted chronologically by this time stamp within the Job Title grouping.
Staff Profiles on Story Pages
Your site allows you to display a staff profile at the bottom of your story, which will show the current story's writer (as long as they have a staff profile already created on the site). If not, then it will default to the next credited staff member, such as a photographer or videographer. If none of the credited contributors has a staff profile, then nothing will show up at the bottom of the story.
To turn this feature on, go to SNO Design Options --> Non-Home Pages --> Story Page Extras. From there, choose which story templates you'd like to turn this feature on for, select your customization options, and save.
Staff Profile Widget
This widget will show random staff profiles from staff members assigned to the current school year.