Understanding Your Homepage
The homepage of your SNO site is comprised of various elements that are each customizable. From the top down, they are:
Each element can be customized or turned on or off via the SNO Design Options page under Appearance.
Your Homepage Content
Most of what you see on your homepage below your header and navigation menus are Widgets, which are essentially blocks of content displaying whatever you want, such as newspaper sections or categories, stories, polls, videos, ads, graphics, etc. These are controlled under Appearance -> Widgets.
Your homepage is structured by placing Widgets into Widget Areas (see image below), which you can think of as dedicated areas, fixed in size that contain and shape the widgets you choose to place in them. For example, you can drag the same widget from a narrow widget area into a wider widget area and it will automatically adjust to fit the new widget area perfectly. You get to choose which widgets go into each widget area, if any at all. As you add widgets to your widget areas you'll start to see how your homepage will look. These are your Widget Areas:
- Home Top Full Width: A full width widget area towards the top of your homepage below your header.
- Home Top Wide: A two-thirds sized wide widget area below Home Top Full Width.
- Home Top Left: A third sized width column below or next to Home Top Wide.
- Home Top Center: A third sized width column in the middle of your homepage below Home Top Wide.
- Home Top Right: A third sized width column on the right of your homepage beside or below Home Top Wide.
- Home Middle Full Width: A full width widget area below everything above.
- Home Bottom Left: Equal 1/3 sized column on the left below everything above.
- Home Bottom Center: Equal 1/3 sized column in the middle below everything above.
- Home Bottom Right: Equal 1/3 sized column on the right below everything above.
- Home Bottom Full Width: A full width widget area below everything above.
- Above Header Full Width: Rarely used, a full width area above your header.
- Non-Home Side Bar: Shows up on non-home pages like Story Pages.
Homepage Structure Preview
The Homepage Structure Preview is found in the SNO Design Options page and is your design hub. You will get a preview of your homepage on the right, which will update each time you make a change to your options on the left. This allows you to preview all design changes without needing to click Save each time you change something. We've also provided quick links for everything you need, so just click on something you want to change in the preview and it will automatically take you to right section or page to make that corresponding change.