When you subscribe to the Student News Source or College News Source your school is included in the ever-growing network of online scholastic journalism programs accessible via the Source app.
Think of it as the Apple News app of student media (we say humbly).
Although your site is already mobile responsive and works great on all mobile browsers, it can add value to have a dedicated mobile app for your readers to download.
The Source app can be downloaded by anyone for free from the iOS App Store or the Google Play Store. Once downloaded, the user can then select their school or any number of schools to view stories, videos and galleries, post comments, and receive automated push notifications.
- Download the app (search "student news source").
- Open the app and search for your school(s) and select it.
- Accept your phone's request for the app to allow push notifications.
- Toggle to the Settings tab to customize which categories you'd like to include for push notifications.
- If you'd like to be able to comment on stories, add a username and email address.
We install a special plugin on your SNO site that cannot be deactivated, which will give you a new admin tab in your site's dashboard. Here's where you'll make most of your customization choices, such as Navigation Header Image, App Header Mini Logo, Splash Screen, Color Scheme, Primary Color, and Accent Color.
NOTE: Be sure the images you upload are the proper aspect ratio / dimensions as outlined. Otherwise they won't look good in your app.
Your app's menu drawer will display the categories you've chosen to include in your mobile app menu under Appearance -> Menus -> Mobile App Menu. The first item in this menu structure will be first to open when you open the app.
NOTE: You can only add Categories to your Mobile App Menu, with the exception of the Staff Page, which can also be added. You do not need to assign this menu to a location.
- Hover on Appearance and click Menus.
- Toggle the menu dropdown at the top to "Mobile App Menu" and click the Select button.
- Expand the Categories section on the left and select all of the categories you'd like displayed and click Add to Menu. Arrange them like you normally do, via drag/drop/indent.
- If you'd like your Staff Page displayed, go ahead and select that under the Pages section on the left and click Add to Menu. Again, arrange in the Menu Structure tree.
- Set your Menu Icons if desired (Note: Only Font Awesome and Foundation icons work with the Mobile App Menu).
- Click Save Menu.
- All changes will refresh to your app after closing and reopening the app on your phone.
Each app user can choose whether or not they'd like to receive push notifications, as well from which categories. Those options are found in the Settings panel in the app itself.
Push notifications will occur automatically when a story is first published. Updates to the story will NOT generate another notification, only the Publish button when it is first clicked will.
To customize the push notification title for a given story or to turn off push notifications for that story, go to the edit-story page and adjust your options within the Publish area on the right.