The SNO Staff Page comes built-in with all SNO sites and works automatically to display your current year's staff profiles in various ways. All you have to do is add your staff profiles, give them a job title, and assign them to correct school year(s).
Creating Staff Profiles
- Click on Add New under the Staff Profiles tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard or using the quick links in the SNO Design Options Staff Page section and enter the name of the staffer where it says "Full Name". This is the name that you will use when crediting stories, videos, and images.
- Type the job title for your staffer under the Staff Position field.
- Upload a featured image to the Profile Image area. Try to use equally aligned and sized images for all staff profiles.
- Type the bio to the body of the post.
- Add in any personal social media links.
- Choose which staff years the student should be assigned.
- Click Publish.
A staff profile will automatically be linked to any stories, photos, or videos credited to this staff member. Once you've created the staff profile you'll be able to select their name from a dropdown in all story writer and photo fields.
Reordering Staff Profiles
You can reorder your staff profiles by Job Title and within each Job Title, so that all members of each Job Title are within the same grouping. Within each grouping, staff will be initially arranged by order of published date -- newest first. To rearrange the order of staff members within each Job Title, simply click the Person Icon next to the Job Title to display a list of each member within that Job Title and drag and drop them accordingly.
- Hover on Staff Profiles and click on Staff Profile Order.
- You'll see your school years and the various job titles.
- Select the school year you want to reorder and drag and drop the job titles into the order you want.
- To reorder individual staff members within a given Job Title, click the Job Title, and then click the Person Icon to the right of the Job Title to see a list of actual Staff Profile names within that Job Title.
- Drag and drop those names to place them in the order desired.
- It saves automatically!
Staff Page Design
As is the case for the rest of your site, design will take place in the SNO Design Options under the Appearance tab. Once there, find the Staff Page section and click on it.
Your Staff Page will adjust automatically based on the templates you choose and their subsequent design choices which are all found in the first column in the picture above:
This is our favorite! The Photo Block style will fill the page with pictures of your staff in a block style. The name and position of each staff member will be revealed when the picture is hovered over and when clicked.
The Profile Preview style shows each staff member’s profile and a teaser to their staff profile. This style allows for more options including the box height, photo type, etc. This style works best when all of the pictures are roughly the same size and all of the profiles are roughly the same length.
The List style lists the name, position, and a link to the staff profile. When the staff profile link is clicked the staff profile will be shown along with all stories written by that staff member.
Staff Profiles on Story Pages
Your site allows you to display a staff profile at the bottom of your story, which will show the current story's writer (as long as they have a staff profile already created on the site) and anyone else with a byline on content displayed in the story (photos, videos, and infoboxes). You can customize the look of those profiles in the Story Template Editor.
To turn this feature on, go to SNO Design Options --> Story Page Templates and open the Story Template Editor. From there, you can customize how the contributor box will look on the template you are editing.
Staff Profile Widget
This widget will show random staff profiles from staff members assigned to the current school year. You can add this to your homepage via the Widget Control Panel.