Each story you create should have a Featured Image. This is the main image that shows up at the top of the story or within a widget on your homepage.
There are two basic ways to handle images in a WordPress story––one is to set the image as the Featured Image for a story, while the other is to insert the photo directly into the text using the editing tool.
We’ve built the entire FLEX template around the idea of using the Featured Image, and we recommend that you always use this method––this allows the template to display the proper sized version of the photo for the homepage, the category page, and the story page.
However, if you’d like to add multiple pictures to a story (and you don’t want them to be a a photo gallery or slideshow) you can use the Add Media button above the story box to add pictures to your story. Adding images directly into the body of the story can be useful if you have a longer story and you want to use a second or third image to provide a visual break to the long sections of text.
Follow these steps to add pictures beyond the featured image to a story page:
- Place your cursor in the story where you want your picture to go. We recommend picking a space between two paragraphs to avoid awkward formatting issues.
- Click the Add Inline Photos button above the story box.
- Upload your picture to the post by clicking Upload to Post and selecting the picture from your computer.
- Fill in the caption and photographer for the image.
- Click the blue Insert into post button.
- The picture will appear in your story. Click on it and choose the icon that looks like a pencil. (Click the X to delete).
- In the window that opens, choose the size and type of text wrap you’d like and click Save. (You can also change the size by clicking and dragging on the image itself.)
- Repeat with as many pictures as you’d like.
- Determine if you’d like to have the Featured Image displayed on the story page as well and choose the appropriate option in the Custom Fields area for Feature Image Location.
- Click Update / Publish to publish the story.