Social Media Icons
Your site has multiple icons built in to the navigation bars on your site: Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, Instagram, Pinterest, email RSS, and likely more to come.
Adding, Removing, or Editing Social Media Icons
- Click on SNO Design Options under the Appearance tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
- Open the Social Media Icon section.
- Add the URL of your social media page in the appropriate box––this will automatically generate an icon and link to your profile.
- To remove an icon, delete the URL from the box.
- Click Save All Settings.
Adding a Custom Icon
- This process is covered in the video at the bottom of this page. Here are further instructions:
- In the third column, click Add New Icon and then click Save at the top right.
- Once the page reloads, enter the title (this only shows up for Alt Text purposes and won't appear on your website), enter the URL you want your icon to lead to, and enter the Font-Awesome Class Name (see next step for more details).
- The Font Awesome Class Name is found by searching for your icons on this page (also linked in the SNO Design Options -> Social/Search Section at the top right). Search for your icon on the Font Awesome page and select it. On the next page copy the class name, which is everything inside of the quotes. Paste or type this class back into your site class name section. Click Save.
Displaying These Elements if You've Converted to FLEX Pro
If you have already converted your website to FLEX Pro, you can get started adding social media icons and search features to your website by going to your SNO Design Options page under the Appearance tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
To add social media icons or search features to your website’s header or footer
Click into the Site Designer section within the SNO Design Options page, and then navigate to the Header Designer or Footer Designer portion of the page. Find or create a space to add these different elements, and then click “Add Content.”
To add your social media icons, select the “Social Media Icons” element from the list of potential content blocks, configure the appearance settings within this panel and make sure to save.
To add a search feature, select either the “Search Bar” or “Search Icon” element from the list of potential content blocks, configure the appearance settings within this panel and make sure to save.
Displaying These Elements if You Have Not Converted to FLEX Pro
If your website has not been converted to FLEX Pro, there are 6 possible locations near the top of your site to display your Social Media Icons and Search Box (Top Edge, Above Header, In Header, Below Header, Below Nav Bars, or Off). By clicking on the Social/Search Bar section of the SNO Design Options page, you can choose its location, colors, and whether it displays the date. Adding links to the Social Media Links column on the right will create a corresponding icon on your homepage; leaving it blank will remove the icon.
The search will allow users to search your site. If you do not want search at the top of your site but would still like your readers to have search capability, you can add a search widget to any of the widget areas on your site or add a search field to your footer.
Learn how to have Social Media Icons in your Footer by clicking here.