Designing Your Footer with FLEX Pro
If your website has been converted to FLEX Pro, the number of design elements and options available to you when customizing your footer area will significantly increase.
To start taking advantage of these new tools, go to your SNO Design Options page under the Appearance tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard. Click on the Site Designer section of the SNO Design Options page and direct your attention to the Footer Design portion of the page.
Once you’re here, you will see the current structure of your footer, broken down into content blocks. At this point, you can either make adjustments to those pre-existing blocks, or delete them and start from scratch.
Here are some tips and pointers to get started:
- Your footer is made up of two different types of spaces: Horizontal areas (rows) and vertical areas (columns). Rows can be added by clicking “Add Row.” Columns can be created by clicking on the gear icon to the right of a row, and then clicking “Add column.”
- To increase the height of a row or the width of a column, simply place your cursor on the side of that space and drag to resize the area in real time.
- If you see a “Legacy” label attached to a content block, that means there is a newer element available that encapsulates the functionality of that older element. You’ll want to swap those out for their updated replacements.
- If you would like consistent design styles applied to multiple content blocks within the same row, set the background color of each element to “Transparent,” click the gear icon on the right of the row, and click “Edit Row Settings.”
- Use the purple toggle bar above the footer designer to create different versions of your footer that are optimized for tablet or mobile devices.
Designing Your Footer without Using FLEX Pro
Customizing the Footer’s Appearance and Content
Under the Footer section on the SNO Design Options page, you can choose what you would like the Footer on your site to display. Your options include the Website Name, Website Tagline, Social Media Icons, a Search Bar and up to four Menu areas. You can also dictate the appearance of your Footer.
- Use the color picker at the right to choose the color for the Background and Text.
- If you would like a Pattern displayed on the background, use the dropdown menu to choose.
- Remember to click Save All Settings to save your new settings.
Adding a Footer Link
The name of your publication will automatically be displayed in your footer. On the SNO Design Options page in the footer section, you can add a URL, and your site will automatically link your publication’s name in the footer to this link. This is useful as a place to add a link to a Google Apps address or to an address where your students can access their email accounts.
Customizing the Footer Menu
- Click on the Footer section of the SNO Design Options page found under the Appearance tab on the left navigation section of your WordPress dashboard.
- Under the area for Foot Navigation, choose to Hide or Display the Footer Navigation Menu.
- Choose the Menu Accent Color using the color picker at the right.
- Choose the Menu Boarder Thickness.
- Click Save All Setting under the color picker at the right.
For information on how to add content to the Footer Menu, click here.