Examples: Related Stories | Gallery | Pull Quote | Sidebar | Video Embed | SNO Poll
You can (and should!) add elements like pull quotes, polls, and related stories that will take you beyond the featured image and the text in a story's page. Using the SNO Story Element button, you can add related stories, galleries, pull quotes, side bars, video and audio embeds, and reader polls. If you have our Site Booster add-on you can also add advertisements, PDF flipbooks, tests and quizzes, as well as sports schedules, standings, and rosters to your sports stories. To add any of these elements simply follow the instructions below.
- While adding/editing a story, place your cursor in the place you’d like the element to go. Usually, it works best to press enter, giving the element it's own line in the text editing box.
- Click the Add SNO Story Element button above the text editing window.
- A pop-up window will give you all of the different options story elements, click the button for the one you are interested in adding.
- Complete the form.
- Related Stories: Use either a title or keyword search to generate stories that are similar and select the stories you'd like to include. Set your display options and click insert.
- Gallery: Click “Add Image” and choose the images you would like to include in your gallery from your website’s media library. Use your cursor to reorder them if needed and click insert.
- Pull Quote: Add the speaker’s name, text and set your display options. Insert into the body of your story.
- SNO Polls: You will need to create the poll before you can add it to a story page. Once it has been created, select it and set your display options.
- Sports Extras: These options will only exist if you have the Sports Center, and will only function properly if you are keeping the Sports Center up-to-date.
- Side Bar: Type in a title for your bar and then add and format your bar’s text. Set your display options and click insert.
- Videos and Audio Clips: You need to use a third-party video or audio file hosting service to store and serve your files. These services are built specifically for serving high quality video or audio, and their accounts are free. Start by creating an account and uploading video to a video-hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo, etc. For Audio files, try SoundCloud or Spotify. Note: Videos embedded this way will not show in the Video Category Display widget.
- Advertisement: This element will only appear if you have the SNO Ad Manager. If that’s the case, select the ad group, set your display options and click insert.
- PDF Flipbook: You will need to create the flipbook before you can add it to a story page. Once it has been created, select it and set your display options.
- Click the Insert button.
- A line of short code will now show up in your story.
- Click Update/Publish and go to view the story to see how your story page looks.
Hyperlinks within a Story
- While adding/editing a story, highlight the words you’d like to hyperlink.
- Click on the icon that looks like a little chain above the text editing window that has a hover label of “Insert/add link”.
- Copy and paste the URL (be sure to start with http://)
- Click Update.
Check out this presentation for tips on adding extra story page elements.